Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What to Wear to Royal Ascot



I haven't posted in a while. I know, bad blogger! I had a query from a lovely reader about what to wear to Ascot, in particular what headpiece to wear. I love hats and headpieces. The Royal Wedding was heaven to me! Royal Ascot takes dressing for the races to a new level. There are so many rules you have to abide by, we shall call them the Laws of Dressing, because they really need to be followed! Luckily the days when wearing the wrong coloured hat, bearing your legs or even being a divorcee would cause havoc are gone.
The main rules are;
  • Only formal day dress with a hat or substantial fascinator will be acceptable
  • Bare legs are frowned upon (tights or stockings required)
  • Dresses or skirts must be no more than two inches above the knee
  • Trousers can only be worn as part of a suit
  • Spaghetti straps, off the shoulder dresses, halternecks or dresses with a strap less than one inch will not be tolerated.
Now my lovely readers query is what type of hat shall she wear with an almost cream dress. I would definitely take inspiration from the Royal Wedding. Our national treasure Mr Philip Treacy created these two beautiful headpieces. I imagine what Lady Kitty, below, is wearing would be considered a 'substantial fascinator'. It is also similar to how you have described your outfit. I think a neutral or nude colour would be best for your headpiece.




For those who don't have a Philip Treacy budget I recently paid a visit to Debenhams and I was pleasantly surprised by their hat selection. A lot of their hats are by the Designers at Debenhams so you can technically have a designer hat for a fraction of the cost. I personally love these Philip Treacy inspired saucer hats.



No comments:

Post a Comment