This Easter weekend I was lucky enough to head to the races at Fairyhouse. It is that time of year again when all the racing festivals are on. Ladies Day has become such a big event, and Best Dressed prizes are so huge (ahem, €10,000 voucher for Arnott's anyone??)that it is really worth putting in the effort. Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to be dressed designer head to toe, if thats your style then great but i recent years, judges tend to lean towards the overall better look and if you've made your own fascinator or are wearing your Great-Grandmothers pearls then all the better.
There are certain Do's & Don'ts about racing that I really feel strongly about, mainly dont's!:) If any of you saw some of the coverage from Aintree's "Ladies" Day then you will know what I mean. The wag look is well and truly dead and should not be resurrected for Ladies Day. I was well and truly shocked by how short some dresses were this weekend, not classy or ladylike and definitely not a good look. You are on a day out, not a night out!
- Feel confident enough to wear stuff from the High Street. Have fun with your outfit.
- Be thrifty and make your own fascinator or hat.
- Wear comfy shoes. If you are wearing heels, wear wedges, otherwise you will constantly be sinking into the grass.
- Keep make up to a minimum. If you need to wear tan, keep it natural looking.
- Dress for the weather, if its cold include a jacket in your outfit. If its raining bring a nice umbrella.
- Accessorize well. This will make all the difference to how you look. Leave your big bag at home, bring a clutch!
- Keep it simple.
- Wear a short dress. You are not going to the local disco. Nothing tight and above the knee. Cocktail wear is a big no-no.
- Overdo the fake tan.
- Show cleavage.
- Wear spaghetti strap dresses. It can be really looked down upon at some race meetings. If you are going to bear your shoulders, look for a thicker strap and bring a wrap to cover your upper arms.
- Wear an evening gown. It will be constantly trodden into the grass by the crowds, and will be destroyed.
- Wear sky high heels or dainty strappy sandals. You will fall out of them on the grass.
- Overdo the overall look with glitz and glam.
- Get hammered! You are dressed like a lady so act like one!
- Dare wear hair extensions, especially cheap clip in ones. They will only take away from your overall look.
- Forget your hat!